(click on image above to see large map)
1. Original site of Ormond Hotel
( Ormond Beach, Granada Boulevard ) During the speed trials on the beach in the early 1900s, this was the gathering place for car owners mechanics and drivers. Now the Ormond Heritage Condominium.
2. Original site of the Ormond Garage
( Granada Boulevard, Ormond Beach ) The garage was the staging area for competitors running for the land speed record on the beach
3. First measured mile
The cars would get up to top speed and be clocked in this stretch of the beach in 1903.
4. Main Street Ocean Pier
Since land speed record runs required use of the beach from Ormond Beach to
Ponce Inlet, the Ocean Pier removed several pilings to create a larger opening for racers.
5. Ransom E. Olds home:
(129 N. Halifax Drive ) Daytona Beach ) Olds built the "Pirate" which racedagainst
Alexander Winton's Bullet on Ormond Beach in 1903- the starting point of this area's
long racing tradition. Olds produced famed Oldsmobile name plate. Later purchased
by General Motors.
6. William H.G. France's Amoco Gas Station
( 316 Main St., Daytona Beach ) "Big Bill" France operated this gas station before he became
a full time stock car race promoter. Now called The Station and operated as a biker bar
7. Streamliner Hotel
( 140. S. Atlantic Ave., Daytona Beach ) In early December 1947 France summoned
stock-car promoters, drivers and track owners to the Ebony Lounge atop the
Streamliner Hotel to create the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing . Currently closed and under renovation.
8. NASCAR's First Office Complex
( 42 Peninsular Drive.Daytona Beach ) served as NASCAR's Headquarters in the 1950s.
9. Daytona Beach Drive-in Christian Church
( 3140 S. Atlantic Ave. Daytona Beach Shores )
In the 1950s the church property served as a NASCAR inspection site.
10. Measured mile course 1920-1935
This is what competitors gunning for land speed records were clocked at top speed.
The last car through this measured mile was Sir Malcolm Campbell in his famed Bluebird. In 1935 he topped the 276-mph mark during his last run on the beach.
11. NASCAR's measured mile, 1950's
NASCAR used this mile for stock car qualifying. Anybody could run most any type car through the course. Any driver averaging 100 mph on a two-way was certified as part of the "Century Club."
12. Beach & Road Course, 1948-58
Stock cars and motorcycles raced on the 4.1 mile course, which was two miles of asphalt and two miles beach with turns cut through the dunes at either end of the make shift racetrack. Historical Racing's North Turn Restaurant, 4511 South Atlantic Ave. Ponce Inlet is located at the north turn of the old course. The Restaurant is filled with vintage Racing photos and racing related memorabilia. The restaurant still remains operating as it did during the beach racing days of 1948 - 1958 when it served box lunches to spectators. it is one of the location that holds the key to Volusia County racing history.
12.a Historical Marker's dedicated by the Town of Ponce Inlet are Located at the North Turn located at Racing's North Turn and at the South Turn located at Beach Street and of the old track
13. Olds Hall
( 340 S. Ridgewood Ave., Daytona Beach ) The hall was founded by Ransom E. Olds as a retirement home for ministers. A car built by Olds was involved in the first speed run on the beach in 1903.
14. Orange Avenue Fire Station at Beach Street
( downtown Daytona Beach ) The fire department would sound an alarm heard city wide in the 1920s and 30s when a land speed was imminent.
15. Lloyd Buick-Cadillac
( 354 N. Beach St., Daytona Beach ) When William H.G. France first moved here from Washington, D.C. he took a job as a mechanic for owner Saxton Lloyd. The dealership was known as Daytona Motors in the 1930s. When France built DIS, he named the man-made lake in the middle of the facility Lake Lloyd. Now vacant land
16. Marshall Teague's Pure Oil Gas Station
( 500 N. Ballough Road Daytona Beach ) Teague was one of Daytona Beach 's earliest stock–car racers. He won five NASCAR events in 1951 campaigning the "Fabulous" Hudson Hornet. Teague influenced the likes of Fireball Roberts and Ray Fox as young racers
17. National Guard Armory
( North Ballough Road ) A starting and inspection area For NASCAR in the 1950s.
18. Former site of the Fish Carburetor Garage and Ray Fox Engineering
(land under the south span of the Seabreeze Bridge, Daytona Beach ) Fox built the Chevrolet that won the 1960 Daytona 500.
19. Best Damn Garage in Town
( 957 N. Beach St., Daytona Beach ) Smokey Yunick's automotive Laboratory. The garage was recently demolished to make way for a new development. Yunick was a genius who built stock cars for NASCAR and entries for the Indianapolis 500.
20. Daytona Memorial Park
( Daytona Memorial Park Daytona Beach ) Formerly known as Bellevue Memorial Gardens. This cemetery is the final resting place of local racing greats Fireball Roberts and Marshall Teague and Raymond Fox.